Sunday, August 27, 2017

Review: THE HOUSE GIRL, by Tara Conklin

This book had me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end, and I was sorely devastated to see it end. Tara Conklin did a fantastic job of combining history, modern social issues, and the timeless search for oneself into a single book that transcends expectations. I was equally in love with the stories of Josephine and Lina, both of which were told with such a vivid exploration of emotions that I found myself relating in various ways to their important struggles. Perhaps my favorite part of the book was the way that history and the present day collided as we watched Lina explore historical documents about Josephine.

Stars: 5/5
Recommended for: Anyone interested in the history of slavery and/or the 19th century south, and anyone who enjoys pondering tough race questions that have evolved ever since first plaguing America centuries ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment