Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Review: THE GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO VICE AND VIRTUE, by Mackenzi Lee

I've wanted to read The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue ever since I first heard about it, and I'm kicking myself for waiting so long. It. Was. Fantastic. Pure and simple.

Mackenzi Lee has taken a fascinating, sexy time period and thrown her readers into it with such oomph I'm surprised any of us have made our way back to the 21st century. The author has truly done her research in European 18th-century politics, familial structures, science, and queer culture, and taken literary liberties only where absolutely necessary--and never in a way that compromises conceivable authenticity. The three main characters (Monty, Percy, and Felicity) are a true pleasure to read about, each with their own strengths, weaknesses, and desires that make them stand out as underdogs in their time period without being anachronistic. There are no three characters with whom I'd rather take an extensive tour--be that as it may--across Europe.

I wish I had a time machine so I could go back a decade and think of this story first, though certainly I'd never achieve it with the same finesse as Mackenzi Lee. It's precisely what I've been missing all my life. Also: Relatable sympathetic pirates for the win.

Stars: 6/5. I would give this book eleventy billion stars if I could.
Recommended for: Anyone who remotely enjoys young adult books should pick this up immediately. Especially anyone interested in 18th century European history and/or swoon-worthy queer relationships with more tension than a stretched rubber band.

No comments:

Post a Comment