Saturday, January 4, 2014

Less Is More

On January 8th I'll be participating in #PitMad, a twitter contest with literary agents trolling the hashtag (more details available here: http://www.brenda-drake.com/pitmad/).

The goal? Tweet your pitch in less than 140 characters and hope it catches an agent's attention.

Well this has been an interesting challenge for me this evening. The initial goal was to condense my entire novel into the seemingly tiny space of a full-page pitch (check). Then I adapted that pitch into a personalized query letter (check). Now I'm stripping down to the bare bones to present my entire novel idea (no pun intended) within the confines of a tweet.

Is it possible? Absolutely. Am I satisfied with my what I came up with? Undetermined.

How heartbreaking it is to pitch my novel without having the opportunity to shout to someone about all of the themes I've explored and nuances I've slipped in. About how the world will be changed and college-aged readers everywhere will instantly adopt it as a cult classic. (Too much? Sorry.)

But if my plot can't stand on less than 140 characters, I guess it can't stand at all.

*Fingers crossed!*

No comments:

Post a Comment