Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Review: THE 19TH WIFE, by David Ebershoff

If I had known THE 19TH WIFE would be so fascinating, I wouldn't have put off starting it for as long as I did. David Ebershoff paints a vivid picture of 19th- and 21st-century polygamy, detailing both its origins and those origins' present-day effects. But this isn't just a fact-finding mission; it's also a well-told narrative that left me on the edge of my seat. The mystery and intrigue behind both main stories (centered around two families in two different generations) kept me flipping the pages with no care for how long the book is. One factor that makes THE 19TH WIFE particularly entertaining is its variety of literary formats, including first-person narratives, letters, diaries, newspaper articles, and even a poem. Do not underestimate the power of David Ebershoff's creativity and storytelling!

Stars: 4/5
Recommended for: anyone interested in historical fiction, church history, cults, or LGBT stories--the author covers all of these themes with a seemingly effortless panache.

No comments:

Post a Comment