Sunday, December 3, 2017

Review: BECAUSE YOU'LL NEVER MEET ME, by Leah Thomas

BECAUSE YOU'LL NEVER MEET ME has an adorable premise--two boys who become close pen pals, but can never meet because, effectively, one is allergic to the other. I initially picked up this book because the story idea intrigued me, and the author, Leah Thomas, held up to my expectations. The two boys in the story, Ollie and Moritz, are distinguishable and well-developed, each with their own fascinating backgrounds and interests. The development of their relationship was realistic and touching, enough to make me root for them as both friends and potential boyfriends. 

The major drawback for me was the moments where I had trouble connecting with the sci-fi elements. I had difficulty wrapping my mind around the possibilities of some of it, such as the lab experiments and the boys' respective disabilities. However, this shortcoming might be on my part, and Leah Thomas's superb writing more than makes up for it.

Regardless, I look forward to reading the next book in the series, NOWHERE NEAR YOU.

Stars: 4/5
Recommended for: Anyone interested in contemporary young adult stories, especially anyone who enjoys very light speculative fiction and queer characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment